Affiliates were asked “Does your affiliate marketing plan currently incorporate marketing on social networking sites?” for the 2011 Affiliate Summit AffStat Report.
The majority of respondents, at 71%, said yes, and the remaining 29% indicated they are not bothering with the social networks for their affiliate marketing efforts.
When it comes to the various sites, Facebook and Twitter were most popular, by far. Note that this data was collected before the emergence of Pinterest, so that would have likely shifted numbers around a bit.
Over fourteen-hundred affiliates were surveyed on their methods, preferences, and strategies for the 2011 Affiliate Summit AffStat Report.
More details on AffStat at http://affstat.com/.